Old 31-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Elaine T

And when I've gone back and tested them on a controlled tank, they did
not have those effects.........
I've got algae killing and plant growing experience and ability to
tease apart the real causes.

Whgy did my Caldophora not die if, as Greg has said off record, it's an
algicide?
That implies it kills all algae.
Clearly it does not and I have no issue making these statements,
because I know I'm right about this side of the issue.

I have not stated what it is, but I have stated what it is NOT.
I can simply do a water change/pruning and the same thing can occur.
So is a water change or a pruning an algicide?
Is _not neglecting a tank_ an algicide?

There is no control with any thing folks have done on the APD/Here/APC
etc, or elsewhere I am aware of, when I did it with a control, it did
not occur. Nada. My control allows for stable conditions to occur and
good growth of the algae in question.

If that's not done, you really cannot say much.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Thinking aloud since I'm surprised by how little algae is in my Excel
tanks...

You said that there was CO2 in both of your tanks. I suspect many of us
are seeing "algicidal" activity in non-CO2 injected, Excel treated
tanks. Your experiment does not rule out the possiblilty that algae
cannot use the carbon from Excel as well as plants because there is
adequate carbon in both tanks. If algae cannot use Excel, then in
tanks like mine they are growing on only atmospheric C02 while the
plants have considerably more carbon available. That means the plants
should outcompete the algae.

How do your cladophora balls grow in low CO2 with Excel as the main
carbon source?

--
__ Elaine T __
__'