Old 03-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Lar

In article , says...
Hi. I know this is a gardening newsgroup, but does anyone know how to rid my
house of silverfish? I know they like dampness,and in the warmer months I
run a dehumidifier all the time and keep my humidity low, but here in the
north(where it's snowing today!) the heat is still on and they have started
coming out already. Is there a spray I can use or poder that will keep them
out of the house?
Thanks for any input.
CG in NY

Unless they are in mass numbers, there may be no need to do anything
at all. They won't damage your clothing and paper damage I see is
usually old papers that are stored in the attic or that has gotten wet
at one time.
They are usually originating from the attic/wall space brought in with
the building materials, especially in the era of wood shingles. I have
seen the best results with Pro-Zap brand pest strip, placed in the
attic, especially above the areas where they are seen inside. I rarely
use more than one in an average sized attic, the most I have used have
been three in a very large home. The dozen or so times I have put them
out I have been surprised with the positive results, though I don't have
enough faith in them to charge for a "silverfish service" with warranty.
Another seemingly effective product is DEKKO Silverfish baits. They
will be placed in areas silverfish are found..closets, storage chests,
file cabinets, dresser drawers. Both products can be found at Pest
control Supply Houses or over the web, though you will be paying three
times the costs if getting them over the web. You can treat around the
wall penetrations with various dusts that help will stop them from
entering the home, though they may push them to other penetrations like
light switches and fixtures. Liquid treatments can also be made around
certain penetrations, but once again won't be the cure.

--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS