Old 06-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Cindy

"Tex John" wrote in message
If you buy masonry sand at a supplier like MPI ($10 for 1/4 CY)you'll
get washed, graded sand. Should have no impurities and no lime. Other
types of "sand" could be a number of different things,

Right.

What you don't want is PLAY sand in potting soil. That is river bottom
sand
that has round edges. It doesn't have any points to it to create air
pockets
in your pot.

Since you are near enough to the Gulf, make sure it doesn't smell salty.

I use builder's sand all the time. You just need to take an old window
screen and sift out the really fine particles so they don't clog up your
air
pores.

John

Play sand is also too fine.
I get sand at Home Depot. I like really coarse stuff, and lately I've been
finding it near the pool supplies. They sell it for sand filters. More
expensive, but I don't need THAT much.

Cindy