Old 17-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

I am looking for hardy Hibiscus (Toronto, ZOne 5B) I was searching on the intternet but i couldnt find much about hardy hibiscus, if somebody can help me out....

Also, i have na indoor hibiscus and I dont know if it is a hardy variety, is it any way i cna find out without risking the plant? ( I mean, i dont wanna leave it outside during winter to see if was or not...) It was flowering non stop during summer time, and even when i moved the pot indoors did not stop flowering for few more month

THanks
--
Paulo[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by
There are several species of hibiscus, but in general, "hardy hibiscus" or perennial hibiscus is the name used here in the midwest for 2 different species of herbaceous hibiscus- Hibiscus moscheutos, and H. coccineus. Both are sold at nurseries everywhere as perennial hibiscus, though H. moscheutos is much more common. Hibiscus syriacus, which is a hardy woody shrub, is also extremely common here and is usually sold under the name "rose of sharon" or "althea". Your indoor plant is most likely a variety of the tropical Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.
It can be confusing sometimes, and this is a perfect example of why using common names for plants is not usually an effective way of identifying them.

Toad

Hi Paulo,

Great info from Toad. Here's how you can tell if you have a hardy hibiscus or a tropical one.
http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

Here's sites about hardy hibiscus - Hibiscus moscheutos
http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/Pe...dyHibiscus.cfm
http://my.pclink.com/~harley/hibiscus.htm

Though this site is primarily about tropical hibiscus, it shows to to propagate and repot.
http://www.rozpat.net/Basics%20and%20Beyond.htm

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.