Old 18-04-2005, 05:31 PM
paghat

In article UAQ8e.1065577$6l.507193@pd7tw2no, "Leon Trollski"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hibiscus syriacus,

This is hard to find, are there any comments or suggestions on this species?

If it's hard to find in your local nurseries, might it be because it isn't
suited to your area? Around Puget Sound it is a standard nursery offering,
though not this early in the year, the nurseries like to get them in
summer bloom, so available around June. When they start flowering they
keep doing it until early autumn.

In my zone they are very easy deciduous shrubs, exceedintgly flowerful for
the xeriscape (low water) garden in fullest sun. There are fully fertile
cultivars of which probably 'Blue Bird' is the standard, & it will
self-seed all over tarnation:
http://www.paghat.com/roseofsharonblue.html
The National Arboretum released a series of sterile cultivars which are
more compact, very good shrubs; I have one of those, 'Aphrodite':
http://www.paghat.com/roseofsharon.html
In theory they can be grown down to Zone 5 but I suspect they would be
more sensitive below Zone 7; in zones 7-9 they're impervious shrubs, &
among my favorites.

They make good xeriscape companions with Lavetera tree mallows, which in
our zone are almost evergreen. Most tree-mallows no matter the cultivar
look pretty much like this one:
http://www.paghat.com/gaymallow.html
though 'Burgundy Wine' is smaller than average & some can get quite large,
& ther is a golden-leafed variety which stands out from the crowd, in the
main tree mallows don't have a wide range of flower type. But if one looks
far & wide, can eventually find forms with flowers other than some shade
of dark purply-pink, like this extremely pale 'Barnsley':
http://www.paghat.com/treemallow.html

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he