Old 21-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Steveo

I would like to know the type of grass that is green and thick in warm
weather and turns completely brown in winter year after year. I see
this type of grass in a few people lawn near where I live (in Zone-6
Northern New Jersey). What is it?

Now, those lawns that have this grass are gradually turning green in a
very even manner. I am wondering whether they are warm season grass
that are planted in a cold region. That would have explained why they
are growing well even in hot weather. But if that is the case, I am
wondering how they can surrive the cold winter and bounce back now.

This type of grass tends to grow thick and not much weeds. But it turns
to yellow/brown (more yellow than brown) in winter. Therefore, I would
not like it in my lawn. I am asking this just for curiosity.

Thanks for any info.

Jay Chan

Hi Jay.

That's Zoysia grass.