Old 13-06-2005, 08:10 AM
A Menzies

Default Log roll as a border edging

We have moved into a newly built house, and we are doing the garden from
scratch. It is only 14 ft by 25 ft, very heavy clay soil, which was
completely waterlogged in the winter, and now has cracks 1'' wide.
We are putting in a garden path and seating area, basically slate chippings
with strategically placed paving stones. We want to use the log roll as
edging to hold the slate in place. What is the best way to anchor this,
bearing in mind I will be digging on the 'border side' to improve the soil,
and put in plants? I don't want the edging falling over etc.
We have had 2 different sets of advice, one to concrete in the log roll all
the way around the edge, the other to use fixing posts about every 3 ft. One
edge will be straight, the other will be curved. Anyone any experience of
putting this in? What worked, didn't work, for you?
Thanks for any replies
Ann