Old 13-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Phil L

gasdoctor wrote:
:: A Menzies Wrote:
::: We have moved into a newly built house, and we are doing the
::: garden from
::: scratch. It is only 14 ft by 25 ft, very heavy clay soil, which
::: was completely waterlogged in the winter, and now has cracks 1''
::: wide.
::: We are putting in a garden path and seating area, basically slate
::: chippings
::: with strategically placed paving stones. We want to use the log
::: roll as
::: edging to hold the slate in place. What is the best way to anchor
::: this,
::: bearing in mind I will be digging on the 'border side' to improve
::: the soil,
::: and put in plants? I don't want the edging falling over etc.
::: We have had 2 different sets of advice, one to concrete in the
::: log roll all
::: the way around the edge, the other to use fixing posts about
::: every 3 ft. One
::: edge will be straight, the other will be curved. Anyone any
::: experience of
::: putting this in? What worked, didn't work, for you?
::: Thanks for any replies
::: Ann
::
:: Hi,
:: I too have very heavy clay soil (I think most of us have?).

Not me! - mine's like fine black sand, - no lumps and very little stones /
pebbles etc...if we dig down 18 inches it's like the beach! - but we do live
at the bottom of a hill, when we lived at the top of the same hill it was
just clay, but we still managed to grow most things

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.