Old 01-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Richard Tanzer

What zone are you in? If you are above Zone 6, you have to anticipate
freeze problems. I am in Zone 5, and my 4X6 3.5 deep 3/4 inch plywood
pond has 3.5 inches of foam board insulation betwen the inner and
outer walls, and I put a 100 watt aquarium heater in the water in the
winter and cover it with a two inch thick foam insulation board. It
never goes under 40 degrees, even when it's below zero outside. I also
have foam board under the liner, but I don't know if that helps or
hurts-- maybe the earth heat would keep the pond warmer. ...

What kind of fish will you keep? If they are koi or goldfish, they are
quite tolerant of icy water. Leaving a 100 watt heater on all winter adds
up to quite a bit of energy and $$$ over the course of the winter.

You can let the surface mostly freeze over, just keep a hole open with a
floating 25 watt heater, and use a bubbler to provide gas exchange. To
prevent the pressure of the ice from bursting the walls of your pond, float
a couple of small logs in the water.

Good luck.