Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
KevinH

Hello Richard -
There are many pendulous orchids, but the most beautiful example I see of
this come from the denrobium alliance. Specifically, Den. superbum, a
pendulous orchid that starts out upright but within a few years can hang as
much as 6 feet from the pot's edge. The flowers are numerous and sweetly
fragrant and bloom from leafless silvery stems in spring, right after its
winter rest (where it looses its leaves). The flowers come in shades of
purple/pink and there's a beautiful alba (white) form. They have easy
cultural requirements, but without their basic needs being met, specifically
lots of light and a hard winter rest, they will flounder. Den. pierardii
is another I've seen that made me go wow!, though the flowers
are more dainty. Good luck.
Kevin

"Richard Witt" wrote in message
I'm new to orchids and would like some in hanging baskets with the flowers
growing down two or three feet.

I'm sure that in the wild, no one goes around tying orchids to sticks to
keep them upright.

Will all orchids naturally droop or are there specific varieties that are
better at this?

Thanks for any info.

--
***