Old 04-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Dave Gillingham

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:25:50 GMT, "Richard Witt"
wrote:

I'm new to orchids and would like some in hanging baskets with the flowers
growing down two or three feet.

I'm sure that in the wild, no one goes around tying orchids to sticks to
keep them upright.

Will all orchids naturally droop or are there specific varieties that are
better at this?

Thanks for any info.

Richard, from the Dendrobiums alone:
D. anosmum (aka superbum, as suggested by Kevin)
D. aphyllum (aka pierardii)
D. crepidatum
D. crystallinum
D. falconeri
D. lituiflorum
D. loddegesii (pendulous, but not very long - it will smother the top
of a basket in due course)
D. maccarthiae
D. primulinum
D. ruckeri
They have varying cultural requirements (but that doesn't have to mean
difficult), so a web search or a visit to your local reference library
could be helpful. Two books I recommend are :
Baker & Baker "Orchid Species Culture - Dendrobium"
Lavarack, Harris & Stocker "Dendrobium & its Relatives".
Dave Gillingham