Old 05-11-2002, 04:36 PM
Stephen Howard

Default White mushrooms/toadstools in lawn

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:18:10 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
wrote:

Mowing the lawn is a good idea...from the fungi's point of view -
spores will get flung all over the place!

I would pick them by hand before I mowed it, it would end up being a big
mushed up mess with bits of soggy fungus everywhere...

Sounds like one of my home-made pizzas!!

There aren't too many drawbacks to having fungi growing on your lawn -
if your turf is pristine you may notice a dark ring of green that
corresponds to the current diameter of the 'fairy ring' - but that's
nature's way of telling you you're confusing your lawn with your
living room carpet!

No, there's no ring - they are growing pretty randomly.

Ah, then they probably aren't what I thought they were.....
They might be worse!

So spare a thought for the much-misaligned toadstool at this time of
year ( and I exclude the Honey Fungus by virtue of the damage it can
cause to your trees and shrubs ). treat it as you would any of our
indigenous 'nasties' and enjoy its strange beauty while it lasts.

Better still, buy a decent fungi book - and keep it on the shelf in
the study...er..loo.

I am happy to watch what happens, but I don't want the whole lawn
covered with slimy rotting mushrooms so I might pick them at some point!

Might be interesting to see what comes up next year - the mere
presence of one kind of fungi can make the site more habitable to
other species.

Here's hoping it's one you can eat!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk