Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Vox Humana

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
I have a two basic requirements when it comes to what gets planted in the
very limited space that makes up my garden. The number one requirement
is size. The plant has to be able to grow 3 feet or higher. My second
requirement is toughness. The plant has to be able to negotiate the
jungle and survive on its own. No pansies, petunias, or any of those
kind of plants ever gets planted in my garden because they're too boring.
IMHO, they're like the little yap yap dog that looks cute but can't do
anything useful but eat and poop. I want plants that get big so all
summer I can sit back and referee the war that ensues as they all vie for
territory.

You'll be happy to know that cleome is a plant that you only have to buy
once. It will reseed itself and return year after year. Another plant to
add to you list of tall, tough plants for your annual garden (or perennial
garden if you are in zone 7 or higher) is the cannas. Most get 4 to 8 feet
tall, require no attention, thrive in most any soil, and will bloom in part
sun to full sun. If you only want the foliage, which can be striking, it is
also a choice for partial shade. They are also good for large containers.
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...00.msnw?Page=1