Old 10-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Travis

Mark Anderson wrote:
I have a two basic requirements when it comes to what gets planted
in the very limited space that makes up my garden. The number one
requirement is size. The plant has to be able to grow 3 feet or
higher. My second requirement is toughness. The plant has to be
able to negotiate the jungle and survive on its own. No pansies,
petunias, or any of those kind of plants ever gets planted in my
garden because they're too boring. IMHO, they're like the little
yap yap dog that looks cute but can't do anything useful but eat
and poop. I want plants that get big so all summer I can sit back
and referee the war that ensues as they all vie for territory.

Anyway, this spring I went for the first time to this one nursery
here in Chicago around Rogers Park and they had a huge selection of
different plants. I stumbled upon Cleome and the tag said it grew
to 4' so I bought a six pack of seedlings and in the pots they
went. So far these plants have gotten huge and each one has 3 or 4
different flower clusters and they keep getting bigger and bigger
and there are plenty of growing months left this year. So, for me,
I award my plant of the year to Cleome. It has practically taken
over my garden although no plant can beat the towering sunflowers.
Here's a pic of my Cleome:

http://www.brandylion.com/gallery/Garden2005/120_2023

BTW: The leaves on this plant actually look like cannabis leaves so
I wonder if the two plant are related.

Does anyone know of other annual or perennial flowers that get this
big?

If those are California poppies on your rooftop garden be careful they
self seed all over the place. Can you walk on your roof without causing
leaks?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5