Old 10-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Geo contains these words:

Our club MTD mower is now due for its 5th repair this year by the Authorised
Dealer (cutter drive belts).
Getting really Pd off with this - any reliablity experiences with MTD
or other
manufacturers of ride-on (or even walk behind). The engine has given
no trouble
but the double-cutter twisted V belt is lasting for less than one cut...

I suspect you have some damage on the pulleys it goes round; or
perhaps they aren't properly aligned, and it's fraying the belt. If the
AD hasn't worked that out and done something about it, he's either
incompetent or just milking you.I'd find another dealer for the next
buy.

Almost more important than the make of mower, is finding a reliable
dealer, who will take the trouble to find out exactly what your needs
and circumstances are then recommend the best machine for it, then
provide reliable service and repairs quickly when you need him, years
later. IME the only way to do that is by local word of mouth and
personal visits. Well worth the effort, to be sure of getting good
service later.

We had good experience of Countax make. We rejected their first
Authorised Dealer ( not interested in us or his machines: no demo
available; chaotic workshop, letter to manufacturer from us warning them
he was letting down their product). The second AD was much further away
but delighted to travel 20 miles, look at our needs, come back with a
suitable machine for a free no-strings demo, and collect it whenever
asked for services etc. His workshop was neat, organised and busy, and
his service impeccable. We had also rejected a third, very close-by
local dealer in other makes because he had a reputation for poor
servicing and repairs and surliness to clients.)

Janet.