Old 18-07-2005, 06:03 AM
Steve

GarlandGrower wrote:

If you are going to crunch up eggshells and throw them down at the base of
the plant, is there any harm in NOT rinsing them first? My Dad leaves some
of the goop in them when he saves them for me. He maintains the garden for
us since he is retired. What about Tums? My Dad had the idea to throw them
down near the base of each plant last year and we did not seem to have as
much trouble. Can Tomatos and Peppers absorb the Calcium in Tums?.........

I bet they can. Do you own a blender? I think I would put a small hand
full of Tums in the blender with water. Then pour the result around the
base of only 2 or 3 plants so see what happens.
If you treat all the pepper plants and the problem goes away, you will
have no way to know if the Tums worked or if weather conditions improved
the situation.
Oh, I wouldn't worry about the egg shells. I would think the remaining
goop would decompose quickly.

Steve in the Adirondacks