Old 23-11-2002, 05:27 PM
Peter Crosland

Default Wasps nest in the attic

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message
No rule says they will die in the winter. We had damn great big ones
periodically all last winter from our roof-space
Suggest expert removal of nest for peace of mind unless TOTALLY defunct.

The few large wasps you see are the mated queens who are looking to
overwinter in a convenient spot. If you can individually kill these with a
simple fly/wasp killer aerosol can then there will be less nests next year.
Removing the nest now will have no effect since the nests are not re-used.
There may be some late hatching grubs but these will soon starve because
there are no workers to feed them. Any competant and honest pest control
operative will confirm this. Unless the wasps arecausing an actual physical
problem by the proximity of the nest entrance then it is far better to leave
them alone. They are a useful pest controler in the garden.