Old 19-08-2005, 08:56 AM
aaj

Default Olive trees in North of England

Hi

I'm a new gardener with lots of questions and after some advice.

1) We would love to have an Olive tree in the corner of our garden, but I'm
a little worried if it would survive a Northern winter. I have read some
other posts suggesting a southern city might be Ok, but it might struggle in
a Northern location. Although the winters don't seem as bad as they used to
be, we are quite high up (between Bradford and Leeds), and there are spells
of a few days/weeks where it is bitterly cold, especially with the wind
chill factor.

The tree would be protected on two sides by a fence, and in contrast to the
cold it would get winter and summer sun all day from about 10 am.

2) Assuming it is possible to grow an olive tree outside, I would like to
grow one from a sappling . We inherited a large green house, so perhaps I
could plant it in a pot and start it in there first. I would like to have a
tree about 10', is this a reasonable size or are they normally bigger.?How
quickly do they grow?

many thanks for any advice

Andy