Old 22-08-2005, 03:55 PM
djhughes djhughes is offline
Registered User

Hi,

I live in the Alps and planted an olive a couple of years ago. We generally get lows of -15 to -18 and quite a lot of snow. The first year some leaves stayed on and new growth happened at the top. This year it completely died back to ground level but has really nice new growth around the base. I use a fleece to wrap it up in the winter.

I think it is worth you having a go with a small plant, maybe near(ish) a warm wall. Experimenting is one of the best bits of gardening I think! Soemone earlier said to make sure drainage is good which is a good idea. I would be surprised if you got olives but if you do then pencil me in for a bottle of extra virgin!

Darren