Old 06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Judith Lea

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
2) Assuming it is possible to grow an olive tree outside, I would like to
grow one from a sappling . We inherited a large green house, so perhaps I
could plant it in a pot and start it in there first. I would like to have a
tree about 10', is this a reasonable size or are they normally bigger.?How
quickly do they grow?

Very reasonable. They aren't very fast growers.

It will take ten years to produce drupes that are worthwhile. They can,
and will, fruit until they are around 500 years old and maybe longer.
Prune bi-annually. They are about 8-12 fungus diseases which can cause
total drupe loss in a given year but these are easily treated at an
early stage. Smoking, (not fags!) also helps to keep the tree healthy
and aphid free.

I have a house in the Auvergne, very hot summers but skiing conditions
in the Winter. I intend having a conservatory built outside the house
for olives (for my own oil) as they could not survive the harsh weather.
I intend to cultivate Grecian Olives rather than the smaller Italian
ones. I have a lot to read up on yet before I make my purchases and any
advice from olive growers would be appreciated.

I have just bought Carol Drinkwater's book on Olives (the screen wife of
the vet in All Creatures Great and Small). She and her husband have
purchased a derelict farm in the hills of Nice, (Cote D'Azur) and
uncovered 75 olive trees. It a massive tome and I look forward to
reading it.

--
Judith Lea