Old 10-01-2003, 03:51 PM
MC Emily

Default Raw sewage in the garden... problem or blessing?

Victoria Clare wrote:
I think that the apple tree and clematis would be delighted with the
unexpected treat, but that a cleanup of the lawn to remove any
unpleasant flotsam might be worth having if there was a lot of it.

I would probably just give the lawn a once-over with a stiff brush
once things had dried out, myself, but there is the psychological
factor: if the OP will be sitting out on that lawn next summer
sipping tea, he might well feel happier about it if it had the
detergent treatment.

Hi

I have to agree with Nick. Our septic tank drains out into the river but if
the river is high the tank backs up and floods into the garden, where we
also have an eating apple tree. However, our views are perhaps a little
different from some people's. We have a farm and in one way or another are
in *muck* every day. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the sewage
having been on the garden and we've never suffered any damage as a result.
With the wet weather we're having at the moment it's more than likely that
it will soon be broken down and washed through the ground. It's not a toxic
hazard although I wouldn't recommend letting children play in it!! At the
end of the day, it's an organic material and, like Nick said, the cleaning
that has been offered will do far more damage that the original fertilising
it's had. Personally, I would leave it alone and not worry about eating
apples from the tree.

Jaqy