Old 10-01-2003, 04:26 PM
James Collings

Default Raw sewage in the garden... problem or blessing?

"MC Emily" wrote in message
Victoria Clare wrote:
I would probably just give the lawn a once-over with a stiff brush
once things had dried out, myself, but there is the psychological
factor: if the OP will be sitting out on that lawn next summer
sipping tea, he might well feel happier about it if it had the
detergent treatment.

it will soon be broken down and washed through the ground. It's not a

toxic
hazard although I wouldn't recommend letting children play in it!! At the
end of the day, it's an organic material and, like Nick said, the cleaning
that has been offered will do far more damage that the original

fertilising
it's had. Personally, I would leave it alone and not worry about eating
apples from the tree.

Jaqy

As the OP I thought I join in again (I dunno.. you post a question, pop out
to London for the day.. come back and find a nice long thread already
developed :-))

The request for a clean-up comes because the sewage covered the whole patio
area upto the back door and our daughter (3yo) play house. I didn't want
her going out into it... but with Snow imminent she was going to want to be
out there building snowmen etc... (and you don't want to be rolling up a
snowman and find out that he has "ready made" buttons, eyes, and nose!!!!).
So the clean up was required.

Secondly I was concerned about the "burning" issue on the plants. Composted
materials (old manure, waste from a septic tank etc) I know is excellent on
plants.. but in its "raw" form (still recognisable!) I wondered if it might
be a bit "strong". I am heartened by your answers so far. Normally I too
wouldn't be bothered about a clean-up (being only 1 generation from
farmers!) but with our little one I wanted to be safe for her... hence the
question that the detergents will be harmful to the plants... I guess (based
on the replies), that it might be, but that it is a risk I will have to
take.

Thanks for the help, to date.

Subsequent question.

Once the clean-up occurs (this weekend I am now told), Is there anything I
can "give" to the grass, tree, clemetis to help them cope? (bearing in mind
the time of year etc...)

James