Old 19-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Covering rhododendrons with fleece jacket (or not) ?

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Better rhodo growers than I may suggest otherwise, but I wouldn't do
anything. I used to have a huge old Ponticum and its offspring very
much exposed to the north in open country, and I never noticed it
taking any harm. It had grown to form a very big natural play-house
inside, and flowered very well. This was in relatively warm West
Wales, though, and I must stress that it was a plain Ponticum, not a
choice variety.

The grounds of Stornoway Castle used to be (maybe still is) a jungle of
rhododendron - and I mean jungle - the canopy was fifteen feet or more,
and while the Outer Hebrides has a generally mild climate, really cold
snaps are not unknown when the wind comes off the polar regions.

I'd go along with Mike, in every detail.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/