Old 19-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Klara

Default Covering rhododendrons with fleece jacket (or not) ?

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
Better rhodo growers than I may suggest otherwise, but I wouldn't do
anything. I used to have a huge old Ponticum and its offspring very
much exposed to the north in open country, and I never noticed it
taking any harm. It had grown to form a very big natural play-house
inside, and flowered very well. This was in relatively warm West
Wales, though, and I must stress that it was a plain Ponticum, not a
choice variety.

The grounds of Stornoway Castle used to be (maybe still is) a jungle of
rhododendron - and I mean jungle - the canopy was fifteen feet or more,
and while the Outer Hebrides has a generally mild climate, really cold
snaps are not unknown when the wind comes off the polar regions.

I'd go along with Mike, in every detail.

No one covers them in New York, and winters there are a lot colder than
here. They go a bit pointed - the leaves hang at a different, steeper
angle - but otherwise they're fine.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin