Old 11-11-2005, 04:26 AM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Default Dug up my Iris bulbs, but too late to plant...now what? Helpplease!

Dave B wrote:
We moved into our house last winter (zone 7 - Virginia) and I got too eager
in my fall cleanup. We had a bed of Irises (I still don't know what
specific type) that was overgrown with weeds-turned trees and lots of
creepers from a nearby wisteria. They bloomed well this year but were very
crowded. I wanted to clean up the bed really nice, so I pulled out the
unwanted stuff and thinned and seperated the Irises last weekend. Yeah, you
know where this is headed. So when I actually took the time to research how
to properly replant and space the Irises I realized I started this project
way too late in the season. Help!

Right now I have two flats full of Iris rhizomes (must be at least 50) and I
don't know what I should do to salvage them. Do I store them for the winter
or replant and hope for the best? I hadn't trimmed back any of the plants,
so each rhizome still has 12 inches or so of greenery, and 6 to 8 inches of
roots. I'm feeling like an idiot and hope I don't lose these.

On a related note I have a bunch of daffodil bulbs that we dug up but
haven't replanted yet. And we'd love to relocate some tiger and daylillies,
but I'm not going anywhere near them unless someone tells me too. It's
apparent I'm a little in over my head...

-Dave

All of the plants you mention are tough customers, so it's not nearly
the problem you think it is. But in future, thin out irises or other
plants and immediately replant/relocate them.

As long as the ground hasn't frozen, and you don't expect it to freeze
for the next two to four weeks, it's OK to plant the iris corms. Give
them a healthy dash of blod-and-bone meal, and water well after planting
Mulch to delay freezing of the ground. Remove the mulch next spring, as
iris corms should be just below the surface. You may lose a few, but
irises are pretty tough, so most will come back. They most likely will
not bloom next year, though, and perhaps not the year after either.

The daffodil bulbs should be planted 6" to 8" deep, also with a healthy
dash of blood and bone meal. They will do just fine. We planted daffs
about three weeks ago here in Zone 4, and Zone 7 is considerably milder,
so you shouldn't have any problems.

Trim the dead/dying stuff off the day lilies and tiger lilies. Relocate
them in the spring. NB that day lilies tend to be invasive, so think
hard about where you want them. They also need thinning out every other
year or so. Tiger lilies propagate from new bulblets and from seed, and
can also spread into places you don't want them.

HTH&GL