Old 27-11-2005, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper

Default At what temperature does grass start growing?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
pied piper wrote:

Soil temperature 4 degrees and above is the average for most species.
I have found with the warmer winters we are cutting grass virtually all
year
round.
There was a time when come October I would send all my machinery for
overhaul and not get it back til March.
Now its a case of sending machinery in for about one week in January.

On the other hand, the AMOUNT it grows between the end of October and
the beginning of March is pretty small. I don't know exactly how
important the factors of low light level and low temperature are,
but am certain that the former is the main constraint in warm winters.
And, of course, it will clearly depend on species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

cricket squares and soccer pitches were growing at a rate of an inch every
week right up until the first hard frost here last week.
October this year had more hours of sunshine than we normally get for
september.
Been taking more grass off in October than any other month this year