Old 20-01-2006, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

Default Escallonia Hedge when do I trim?

"dai16" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an Escallonia hedge in my garden, about 12 feet long and 6 feet
high. It grows strongly, and stays green throughout the winter. I live
in South West wales, with a mild maritime climate. I just cannot decide
when it is the best time to trim the hedge as I want to use it as a
fairly formal "divider" in the garden. I cut it back in November, but
this has exponsed a lost of bare branches now, these will re-grow, and
I can already see the new green buds forming. If I trim it earlier I
seem to cut off the stems that produce the scented pink flowers in late
summer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
Escallonia can make an exceptional formal hedge. We have fifty yards of
it kept tightly clipped but this removes 90% of potential blooms.
A reasonable loose hedge will still make a good divider and flower
well~~~ Will also reduce the clipping needed.
So~~ Loose hedge with masses of flowers [as Sacha mentions] or tight
formal hedge with much fewer blooms.~~ your choice.
Whatever you decide be aware that Escallonia tries to expand its width
as much as possible. Ours was planned to be 3' wide but it insists on
attempting 6'+ !!
Best Wishes Brian.