Old 24-02-2006, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Collard greens

On 22 Feb 2006 16:37:39 -0800, "cliff_the_gardener"
wrote:

Has anyone had any experience of growing collards in the UK?
They are widely grown in the US, particularly in the South, as a source
of greens similar to kale, they are a non heading cabbage, the leaves
are like those of oil seed rape but bigger.
I have some seeds of are variety called Vates
Cheers
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, S Yorkshire

In Cornwall, at this time of year the farmers grow fields of 'spring
greens', also known as collards. They are, as you describe, a
non-heading cabbage similar to kale, widely available in supermarkets
locally as 'spring greens' or just 'fresh greens', and very nice too.
Whether they're the same as your collard greens I don't know, but I
suspect they're very similar.

There was a thread on collards in urg several months ago.

--
Chris