Old 01-04-2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Doug Kanter

Default How to get rid of the wax on apples?

"Knack" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
The best example is with red delicious apples purchased at your local
grocery store.
The apples have whitish areas/stains on the outside skin, and on red
apples the white stains are especially visible. It is difficult to
remove the stains even when trying to rub them off
under running water. When soaked in water for 10 mins the whitish areas
become even
more visible. I assume they are wax, and the type of wax used on apples
supposed to be
water soluble and easily removable and these stains one is NOT. I do
not want to eat apples with pesticides and other dirt under the wax.

These stains are on apples no matter where you buy them. Is there any
way to remove the wax quickly and reliably? Does it make sense to peel
each apple?

It's easy to remove. Get yourself a fingernail brush that you'll use just
for fruits & vegetables. Put a drop or two of dish soap on the brush and
scrub, then rinse (obviously). It won't hurt the apple, but it will
remove the wax. Besides seeing that it's gone, you'll notice that the
skin suddenly has an apple smell.

Dish liquids contain surfactants that are chosen principally as
oil-in-water emulsifiers. They are *not* wax solvents, and are only OK
wettng agents.

It's odd though, how well they work at removing the wax, although the brush
is an equal partner in this process. Believe me when I tell you that the was
*IS* removed. If you'd like to repeat the experiement, be sure to use Dawn
dish liquid, original verson.