Old 02-04-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Knack

Default How to get rid of the wax on apples?

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Knack" wrote in
ink.net:
Cortlands are grown mostly in NY state. In fact I recall
trout fishing a couple times near Cortland, NY; that
country is one of the greenest, lushest farmlands I've ever
seen. As a kid, I recall Cortland apples as were among the
first of the economy apples that were sold prebagged in
supermarkets. I wonder whether they're simply McCintosh
that are graded smaller in size and resold as a different
variety! No, they're unavailable where I now live; in
eastern Washington.

oh my ghods, NO! a Cortland is NOT one of those nasty mealy
MacIntoshes. ew! how could you *possibly* confuse the two?!
a Courtland is crisp, with a tender (but not too tender)
skin, & sweet with just the right amount of acid bite. good
for eating *and* baking.
a MacIntosh is a nasty, mealy, hard skinned apple suitable
only for apple sauce. they're just a step up from Red
Delicious.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Ha :-) Well, must admit that its been a while since I had one. I'll look
for them next time that I'm visiting in NJ later this month, but unlike
apples from Wasington and BC, their off-season availability (from controlled
atmosphere storage) is hard to come by.