Old 15-04-2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

Default determining flower pot size

for a square pot, it is the width you are measuring which is from side to
side across the top. This is not the diagonal which would be from one
corner across the middle to far corner.

"Al" wrote in message
For most of them, hold them up and look carefully at the bottom. There is
usually a pot size number molded right into the plastic with raised
letters that gives the size. This number usually matches a diameter
measurement taken across the top of the rim. FWIW, if you come into my
greenhouse I can show you at least three pots that are stamped (6" Azalea)
on the bottom and they will all have slightly different physical
measurement. This is true of most pots. For plastic pots as with
government regulations; there is no legal governing authority.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
I am trying to determine what size pots some of my orchids are in. Yes, I
know, I should know the answer to this already, but I am confused:

How does one measure a flower pot to determine its size? In a round pot
that is narrower at the bottom than at the top does one measure the upper
rim's diagonal or the bottom diagonal? What about in a square pot does
one measure the length of the side or the diagonal -- and again is it the
top or the bottom of the pot that counts?

Thanks!

Joanna