Old 05-05-2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw

Default Repair parts for vintage traveling sprinkler

Mel wrote:
I have a traveling cast-iron sprinkler that looks like it was made in
the 1950s or 60s (maybe earlier).

It works well, but the main gear that is driven by the spinning
sprinkler arms is nylon and it is wearing thin.

Back in the 70s in Sacramento, I remember the small hardware stores
used to carry repair parts -- gears, seals, nozzles, etc.

I'm in Atlanta now, and I still really like this thing. It is
fascinating to have a tool like this that has been working for hundreds
of hours every year for probably half a century.

Anyway, where can I get parts for this thing? It says Crestline
Sprinkler on the wheels, but from the pics I have seen on eBay and
other sources, it looks like the same model was made by Thompson and by
L R Nelson many years ago.

I'll buy the whole old sprinkler if I have to just to get that gear.
Or,.. maybe I'll have one of my machinist friends make the gear -- it
is pretty simple. Maybe an existing gear can be modified, eh?

Thanks for any info.

Mel

If it really is the same as the Nelson unit then you can buy repair
parts for it he http://stores.yahoo.com/lrnelsoncorp/repa.html

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]