Old 09-05-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

Default Rhubarb going to seed?

"tenchman" wrote in message
Hi Group,

My productive rhubarb has thrown up a large seed head, which has raised
the following questions.
1. Should it be removed and how?

I pull my flower heads out, but I think cutting it off near the ground would
work OK as long as rot couldn't get in.

2. Is it safe to keep harvesting the crop?

Yes.

3. Is this a sign that the root needs splitting ( its been there for
years)

Probably, but not neccesaily. I've had a crown of the stuff in the same
place for six yars and it grows like decorative Gunnera!

4. Could it be overfed? (its growing next to the compost bin and gets a
regular supply compost leaching.

Sounds good.

:-)

--