Old 11-05-2006, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Henry

Default Rhubarb going to seed?

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"tenchman" wrote in message
Hi Group,

My productive rhubarb has thrown up a large seed head, which has raised
the following questions.
1. Should it be removed and how?
2. Is it safe to keep harvesting the crop?
3. Is this a sign that the root needs splitting ( its been there for
years)
4. Could it be overfed? (its growing next to the compost bin and gets a
regular supply compost leaching.

Please can anyone advise me on this.

Not sure I'm really qualified to answer, but:-

I would remove it, the seed head that is, I don't think it will affect the
quality of the rhubarb which is left, but if you do eat it and you die,
I'm obviously wrong!(:-)

It would be helpfull to split the root but this is not the right time to
do it, wait until the late winter, early spring.

I would not think it is due to overfeeding, more like it's telling you to
split it.

Alan

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David.

Hello David

I doubt it is telling you to split it - most of my plants are 1 year old
(grown from seed) and they all flowered this year. The older established
plants that probably do need splitting did not flower!

Henry