Old 18-05-2006, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default Radishes or turnips ???

AndyS wrote:
Andy writes:

Well, in my new garden I planted a row of radishes about 2 months
ago. It said radishes on the package..

When the greens formed, they were definitely NOT turnip greens.

However, today when I picked a dozen or so, they were about 2 inches
in diameter and looked A LOT like turnips. I couldn't tell by the
taste,
since a radish seems a lot like a turnip to me... They looked like
turnips, and had the purple band around the top like a turnip does.
Some were radish size and some were turnip size..

So, my question is, if one lets radishs go a long time before
picking, do some of them increase in size and look like turnips...??
Or, did the seed packager screw up ??

Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS I ain't complaining... they taste pretty good. I just don't know
what I'm eating....

Huh? A radish is like a turnip??? I can't see how. They're apples and
oranges!!

Radishes are lucky to get to be the size of a golf ball, have a
red/purple skin and snow white interior. Turnips grow to be at least the
size of a fist, if not bigger and the greens can be huge, broad leaves.
Some turnip (or rutabaga) varieties can have purple tops and a white
interior, but nothing like a radish. There's no confusing the two,
unless there is some freaky hybrid out there that I'm not aware of...

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.