Old 20-05-2006, 02:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

Default Thorny plants - pyracantha

"WRabbit" wrote in message
We have a 3' high wall at the front of the house, which can be
conveniently sat on. We're trying to discourage this (asking nicely
hasn't worked), so thought some prickly plants might be the answer.

Holly is lovely, but just a little too slow growing, and larger plants
would be expensive.

Agreed, I have 'Blue Angel' Holly and it's maybe 18" high after about three
years, and not exactly bushy.

Pyracantha has come up again and again when looking at options, but I'm
concerned about how high it can grow. Would it be happy to be kept to a
relatively low height as a hedge? Ideally keeping it about the 4' mark.

I think it will accept trimming without undue protest. I've seen it clipped
into hedges.

The fact that you can get a mix of lovely shaded berries and it attracts
birds would be an added bonus.

Yes, but if you want to enjoy those berries for more than a week you'll need
to net them in, the birds munch mine as soon as they turn red.

We'd be planting on the north side of the wall, and the area does get
quite damp, so we'd need to improve the drainage there (digging some sand
through?)

I think it's OK in light shade, that's certainly where mine is, though it
gets an hour or three of sun shine per day depending on the season. I'm in a
damp part of the country, but the drainage is adequate.

Would appreciate other thoughts?

Mine is 4 foot+ after three years, trained to a wall. Just getting into its
stride really, and some growth still to come this year. There are white
flowers to enjoy too.

You could look at Berberis too, lots of varieties to choose from, and pretty
spikey to boot.

--
NK
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply