Old 20-05-2006, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WRabbit

Default Thorny plants - pyracantha

K wrote:
You can do, but it's a lot of hard work - it puts on a lot of growth
each year. The holy grail of a hedging plant which grows rapidly to
4ft and then stops dead has not yet been found ;-)

I'll add it to my list of genetic modification projects. Do you think I
should prioritise this over slugs that only eat dandelions?

Best bet might be some bush roses. Ideally, you would prune them down
to about a foot each year (thus temporarily losing your protection),
but you could experiment with pruning half in alternate years.

Considered this but there's a couple of issues. As well as discouraging
them from sitting on the wall they've got a habit of clambering over it to
retrieve their ball (several times a night). The coping stones are getting
knocked loose. Don't know that roses would deter them enough. In addition
the rose I planted at the back suffers quite badly from blackspot.

We'd be planting on the north side of the wall, and the area does
get quite damp, so we'd need to improve the drainage there (digging
some sand through?)

If it's damp and clay, add humus (garden compost for example). What do
you mean by 'quite damp'? - in my garden 'quite damp' means 'standing
water after heavy rain' ;-)

Grass slopes slightly done to the wall, not quite swamp like but certainly
muddy after heavy rain.

Would appreciate other thoughts?

Depending on the type of wall, consider re-topping it so it no longer
has a flat top. Or add say 1ft of fencing to the top. Or buy a couple
of fake dog poos from a joke shop and glue them to the wall ;-)

Again been considered. However all the walls are uniform round the houses,
so changing the wall would have an impact. It's also a more expensive
solution as I'd have to get a person in - wall building is not my forte.
Fake dog poo added to the possibility list

--
NK
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply