Old 21-05-2006, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Thorny plants - pyracantha

WRabbit writes
WRabbit wrote:
snip tale of woe and request for suggestions for some 'defensive' planting

Just to update on what we've decided to do. We visited a local garden
centre yesterday and by coincidence they had some foot high variegated holly
bushes in their clearance section. Nice healthy plants, but last years
stock.

We got 5 plants for £8, so it was ideal as it didn't dent the budget too
much. It's a bit of a lucky dip as we don't know what variety we've got
(the pots just say ilex aquifolium) - it looks like Golden King, but it's
not an aquifolium so who knows. We'll get a male plant for somewhere else
in the garden and see what happens in the winter.

Hopefully this will deter the kids from stepping over the wall, and in a few
years time we'll have a beautiful holly hedge. Meantime we're netting and
caning the area to protect the plants.

Thanks for everyones thoughts as they were really useful.

Thanks - it's good to know the outcome.

Long term, I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision.
--
Kay