Old 28-05-2006, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

Default How much space needed for Pumpkins and Watermellons?

"Lucky" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the info David. I have another question concerning
Fertilizer, How much and when. This is my first year with these and I
guess I should have done a bit more research before planting!!!!

-Jason

They are fairly heavy feeders. How much fertiliser you add depends on how
well you prepared the plot. Even if you added lots of manure and organic
matter then some side dressings of rotted manure or all round fertiliser
every 4-6 weeks once they start to grow would still be good but don't go mad
and overdo each dose. If the soil is not well prepared then go a bit
heavier with compost or other organic material under the mulch, just don't
burn them with raw manure or too much chemical fertiliser. And mulch heavily
to keep down weeds and save water, once they start running they are a bugger
to weed in amongst. Every weed is using up nutrients and water that should
go to your crop. Mulch is also good as it keeps the fruit off the ground
which keeps them cleaner and reduces the chance of rot in wet weather.

How much room do you actually have for them?

David