Old 30-05-2006, 07:20 PM
KittenHouse KittenHouse is offline
Registered User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm
A few weeks ago I planted some cabbages, brussels sprouts and brocoli.
All seemed well until I noticed half the brocoli were wilting very
badly. ... no sign of cabbage root fly
grubs or any other for that matter but the roots were teeming with
ants. I had always thought ants were harmless but the evidence looks
convincing. Has anyone else had this problem?
Malcolm
I had the same problem and symptons, and I'll share my case in case it helps to answer Malcolm's question.

- Planted cabbages and brussels sprouts a few weeks ago just like Malcolm
- First noted some plants wilting, and ants around the stalk/roots
- on digging up also found what appears to be a "chafer grub" (http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0402/chafer.asp) which does feed off roots and so would explain the problem Malcom and I have had
- BUT - everyone i asked at garden centre (and this is backed up by internet evidence ) says that chafer grub should not be present until "late June to July". In face those companies selling biological controls for chafer grub will only sell it in July!
- So it could be a vine weevil larvae, which is similar. However the vine weevil larvae is shorter (c. 1 cm) and has no legs - what i have in my garden is around 2cm long and has legs , so def. a chafer grub.

So either (a) ants are destroying the roots -mi've never heard of this before, or (b) i have a very very early chafer grub

Malcolm - are you sure there is no sign of chafer grubs in your plot?

Can anyone shed any light on what to do to control this? Thanks in advance
-