Old 30-05-2006, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Do ants eat roots of plants?

In article ,
"Des Higgins" writes:
| "Malcolm" wrote in message
| ups.com...
|
| A few weeks ago I planted some cabbages, brussels sprouts and brocoli.
| All seemed well until I noticed half the brocoli were wilting very
| badly. I had put Chlorophos around the stems which I hate using but I
| found all organic methods don't work against cabbage root fly. I dug up
| some of the wilting plants and there was no sign of cabbage root fly
| grubs or any other for that matter but the roots were teeming with
| ants. I had always thought ants were harmless but the evidence looks
| convincing. Has anyone else had this problem?
| Malcolm
|
| At a guess, the ants do not eat the roots as such but are trying to make a
| nest underneath them and that will make it hard on the cabbages??

It is more likely that the roots are being attacked by something else,
and the ants are either preying on the parasites or milking them for
honeydew. They are more-or-less irrelevant either way.

In my experience, the only approach is to replant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.