Old 01-06-2006, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim

Default Do ants eat roots of plants?

Malcolm,

how dry was it around the broccoli? I sowed some swede seed a couple of
weeks ago in a raised bed and popped a cover over the top as it was tipping
it down at the time and it stayed there for a week.

removed it and thinned the swede and there was a lot of ant activity as the
soil had been kept quite dry. A good drenching and they seem to have
buggered off. Same would happen if other beasties had been around as well,

Jim

"Malcolm" wrote in message
ups.com...
A few weeks ago I planted some cabbages, brussels sprouts and brocoli.
All seemed well until I noticed half the brocoli were wilting very
badly. I had put Chlorophos around the stems which I hate using but I
found all organic methods don't work against cabbage root fly. I dug up
some of the wilting plants and there was no sign of cabbage root fly
grubs or any other for that matter but the roots were teeming with
ants. I had always thought ants were harmless but the evidence looks
convincing. Has anyone else had this problem?
Malcolm