Old 02-06-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

Default Can I make my blackberries sweeter?

You might check into how acidic the soil needs to be for blackberries and
then compare that with your soil's pH.

I brought some blackberries from Arkansas that really had a good taste and
were sweet(acidic soil), to my present home and planted them (Neutral soil).
They got as big as they did in AR, but had no flavor or taste, and were very
bitter. They made good jam and preserves, but you couldn't eat them right
off the vine.

Dwayne

"BFan" wrote in message
I just planted 3 varieties of blackberries in my garden. Apache, Arapahoe
and Rosenburgh. The only one that is producing any berries is Rosenbergh,
but they seem too sour. They get full sun, are in soil lightened with peat
and a little sand, and get adequate water. The plants are beautiful, as
are the berries. Is there some soil amendment I can add to sweeten the
berries?