Old 06-06-2006, 03:55 AM posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default Poison Ivy vs Bed Bugs

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

wrote:

Another post reminded of an insect that CAN create a "blister" type
sore when they bite...the western conenose bug, aka Kissing Bug.
--
Lar

I've always been a bit afraid of insects, especially now with my bed
bug scare, IF, I ever saw a bug like that near me....I would FREAK
OUT!!!

I dont even like looking at those mini-spider-looking red bugs that
move around really quickly on brick/concrete steps.

Luckily I live in NYC, where we do not have those semi-fire type ants
that they have in Florida and Atlanta. When I was there and saw how
quickly they came out of the anthill with any disturbance, its freaky.
Or those giant flying roaches. Or brown recluse spiders.

Good post - I take issue though with the vaseline,etc. part becaiuse
that was an old remedy for scabies mites which chiggers are not.

If the OP were working around any area where animals have a 'trail' it
is very likely to be chiggers. But, as a general rule, they're not gonna
be in ones 'garden'. I suppose a neighbor could have dogs, sheep or some
other kind of animal that might be a source. Or if the OP were working
on a hiking trail, etc. I have actually looked on the tip of long
Johnson grass blades and seen the little devils lurking there. They are
very small and red. Under a microscope, the 'nose' is almost as long as
the body and is folded underneath!

I have also been bitten by imported fire ants and they will leave a bite
that resembles a very small 'whitehead' acne lesion. Though, unlike
chigger bites, there is usually immediate pain.

My vote is some type of insect/mite. Indoors or out, I dunno.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

One possible way to narrow down WHERE or if it is insects, count the
bites before either bed or garden work - then use some insect repellent
and go to bed or go to work. Then count the lesions after wards - or
possibly use repellent on one - say - your upper torso - and see if all
new bites are on the untreated area.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)