Old 14-06-2006, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Merle O'Broham

Default Moss on shed roof

George.com wrote:
"Ether Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

JL wrote:
My 5yr old shed is in a shaded area and is developing moss on roof

asphalt
shingles.
Should I worry?
If yes, what's the best way to get rid of it - bleach/water?

Bleach will do the trick, but the runoff may damage painted surfaces
and unpainted wood and nearby landscaping.

On wood surfaces, I use a vinegar/borax solution. It works more
slowly, but does the job, and doesn't harm the wood like chlorine
bleach can. Put some 5% white distilled vinegar into a quart
container (like a juice bottle) and add as much borax as will dissolve.
Then carefully pour the liquid into a hand sprayer, being very careful
not to get any undissolved borax into the sprayer (it will clog the
spray nozzle).

Does anyone know if RoundUp will kill moss?

in my experience, no. Can't tell you why but it does not work for me.

rob

Really? (!) Try hitting it again. RoundUp kills moss for me just fine.
It turns it orange/dead in a couple days.