Old 09-07-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default How do you plug the drainage hole in clay pot?

Trudy wrote:
I have a beautiful clay pot that I want to convert to a fountain. What
is the best device for plugging the drainage hole?

I assume the plumbing of the fountain will come up through the hole.

You will need a short pipe nipple that is either fully threaded or on
which the unthreaded part is not longer than the thickness of the bottom
of the pot. The nipple should be at least two inches longer than the
thickness of the pot. You will need two large steel washers, with holes
only slightly larger than the nipple and outside diameters about 1/2
inch or more larger than the diameter of the hole in the bottom of the
pot. You will need two rubber washers holes larger than the nipple and
outside diameters slightly smaller than the diameter of the steel
washers. Finally, since nuts rarely have threads compatible with pipe
threads, you will need small pipe flanges that will fit the nipple.

On the nipple, place a rubber washer, steel washer, and pipe flange in
that order. Put the nipple through the hole in the bottom of the pot
with the flange and washers underneath. In the pot, place a rubber
washer, steel washer, and pipe flange on the nipple. Tighten the
flanges to the point where they cause the steel washers to compress the
rubber washers. Do not over-tighten, or you might crack the pot.

The nipple should extend enough beyond the flanges for you to use
female-threaded couplings to finish the plumbing.

Also, I am new to this group. Can I forward photos of struggling
plants for advice? Thanks a bunch!

Never send messages with images to a newsgroup unless "binary" or
"binaries" is part of the newsgroup's name. Some server operators
automatically delete any messages containing images to non-binary
newsgroups.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/