Old 03-08-2006, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default wood pidgeon life span

On 3/8/06 11:59, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"DB01" wrote in message news:XMjAg.66404

How do you discourage the magpies? We do get a couple trying to enter the
ivy covered poplar that all the small birds live

It's VERY difficult. AKA I don't know.

When some were building at the top of our VERY high tree Spouse got a very
long ladder and dismantled the nest. It was built on a hard mud base with
intertwined long twigs and WIRE! I couldn't believe the amount and size of
the lengths of thick gauge wire - as well as wire border fencing and wall
ties. I took a picture but I can't find it now.

We were very concerned because we had a broody sitting on eggs and her
chicks would have been vulnerable, as well as the wild birds.

Spouse wants an air rifle for next year :-(

I'm sorry to say that I think he's right. We had a very few magpies coming
into the garden which were 'despatched' and we haven't had any this year, x
fingers and we have seen an increase in thrush babies around the place. The
magpies seem to have a favourite spot about 2 miles from here, in open
country, where they nest but I suppose that if their numbers increase,
they're bound to have to search for wider areas to occupy.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk