Old 11-08-2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Compostman Compostman is offline

Default preserving habaneros

"frank megaweege" wrote in message
oups.com...
My habanero plant is absolutely covered with peppers and they're
starting to turn orange - this, in addition to, some other varieties of
chili peppers that appear ready to harvest and it's too much to deal
with at once.
What's the best way to keep them for the longest amount of time?
Freeze the fresh peppers? Dry? (in the oven?) Dry, then freeze?
About how long can I keep them with any of these methods?
How long would homemade hot sauce or salsa keep in the fridge?
-thanks

Most ovens are too warm to properly dry chilies. But you can try it. Just
watch things closely. I have a dryer and it works great for chilies, even
habaneros. I do it in the attic with good ventilation. Also wear gloves
when handling the chilies. I buy packages of 100 latex or similar gloves at
a time. I also recommend wearing goggles and a gas mask if you grind them.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7