Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn Lynn is offline

Default preserving habaneros

Well, I am interested in your canning idea for your peppers. I normally just
freeze what I have but would like your recipe for doing this.
This year I use a package of seeds that just said hot mixed peppers and
well saying they are hot is a understatement. I made the mistake of taking a
bite out of a round one (which I thought was just an immature sweet green
pepper) and burnt my mouth.
--
Lynn

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
And everybody is ignoring my canning suggestion.... :-(

Thanks.

IMHO freezing ruins peppers.
I've ended up tossing every frozen pepper me or my mom every tried.

They are......

gross.

I have a dehydrator. Drying in small amounts should be no big deal.

If the smell is that bad, do it out in the garage or a sheltered outdoor
area with an extension cord.

I dry peppers every year, Jalapenos, bell strips and chili petins and
feed most of them to my cockatoo. They are a rich source of vitamin C
that birds need.

She loves them and fresh citrus is messy and attracts fruit flies.

But I'd never offer her an Habanero. ;-) That'd be mean....

Her favorite is a handful of fresh chili petins in her food dish. She
ends up with a pink beak and I refuse to play "kissy bird" when she has
pigged out on them. G I have a hyooge bush of them in the yard that is
a perennial.

Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of "hot lips". ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson