Old 26-08-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC NC is offline

Default pruning first year rhubarb

Well... its 'almost' first year. I bought 2 crows from the garden centre
- there were about 3 stalks on each of the two crowns that were about
12" long. Therefore not sure if this technically first or second year ?

I planted it out in about Feb using lots of manure and bone meal - it
has thrived. Each crown now has about 10-12 thick stalks, with nice
large leaves.

I have read that rhubarb should not be picked in the first year so as to
ensure the roots are strong. However, it really is starting to spread
and looks very healthy. Should I resist the urge to remove some stalks
for the pot, and just allow the leaves and stalks to die back in their
own time ? Or can I pick some... but will this stunt the growth of the
root system ?